CAREWare is a free, electronic health and social support services information system for Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program grant recipients and their providers. CAREWare was developed by HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau and first released in 2000.
CAREWare installations manage HIV clinical and support service data from more than 360,000 client records in 48 states, Washington, DC, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The application is currently used by more than half of all funded grant recipients to report year-end, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Services Report (RSR) client-level data and to monitor quality of care on a regular basis.
CAREWare contains customizable modules for tracking demographics, services, medications, laboratory test results, immunization history, diagnoses (updated with ICD-10 codes), referrals to outside agencies, and an appointment scheduler. There is a custom report generator and performance measures module. The software also has a number of ways to import data from third party sources, including commercial labs and other electronic health records, HIV surveillance systems, and, for AIDS Drug Assistance Programs (ADAPs), pharmacy benefit programs.
Before downloading the software, read the CAREWare end user license agreement.
Download: CAREWare Business Tier Build 921 updated 1/3/2017
This is the minimum build required for the 2016 RSR.
Full Setup files for new users: Full Setup File Build 881 (EXE - 132 MB) updated 05/17/2016
Windows Support: How to tell if your system is 32 or 64 bit
System Requirements: Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.1
Medications and Diagnosis Codes Imports
ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes (XML - 5.5 MB) updated 9/23/2015
ADAP Medications Import (XML - 54 MB) updated 12/14/2016
Medications Import (XML - 559 KB) updated 12/14/2016
Quick Start Manuals
- Quick Start #1: Downloading and Installing (PDF – 2 MB)
- Quick Start #2: Setting up Contracts and Services (PDF – 539 KB)
- Quick Start #3: Entering Clients and their Service and Clinical Data (PDF – 839 KB)
- Quick Start #4: Customizing Tabs and Fields (PDF – 692 KB)
- Quick Start #5: Customizing Clinical Data (PDF – 745 KB)
- Quick Start #6: Working with Prebuilt Reports (including RSR) (PDF – 987 KB)
- Quick Start #7: Creating Basic Custom Reports (PDF – 864 KB)
- Quick Start #8: Creating More Advanced Custom Reports (PDF – 713 KB)
- Quick Start #9: User and System Administration (PDF - 1.5 MB)
- Guides for RSR Reporting (PDF – 92 KB)
- Using the CAREWare AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) Module to complete the ADAP Data Report (ADR) (PDF – 370 KB)
- The Performance Measures Module Manual (PDF – 358 KB)
- Provider Data Import: Users Manual (PDF 250 KB)
- Provider Data Import: Data Entry Rules (PDF – 1 MB)
- Provider Data Import: Specifications (PDF – 65 KB)
- Service Rapid Entry (PDF – 128 KB)
- Client Merge Function (PDF – 127 KB)
- Orders Module (PDF – 173 KB)
- Working with Custom Fields and Merging Two Fields (PDF – 2 MB)
- Women, Infants, Children and Youth (WICY) Report Instructions (PDF – 3 MB)
- Regimen builder (PDF – 2 MB)
- Group Format Wizard (PDF – 58 KB)
- Client Report with Graphs (PDF – 2 MB)
- Appointment Scheduler (PDF - 73 KB)
- Managing CAREWare Data (PDF – 59 KB)
- Using the CAREWare ADAP Drug Services Module (PDF – 156 KB)